Linux Troubleshooting - Red Hat, Fedora, SUSE Linux Enterprise
The course is based on the idea that the best way to learn troubleshooting is to practice troubleshooting. Approximately 25% of class time is spent on lecture, leaving 75% for intensive lab content. Class starts with a discussion of effective troubleshooting techniques. Tools and topics are gradually introduced over the course of the week. Students practice applying these tools and techniques in self-paced labs. Students can choose from over 120 scenarios organized by topic and difficulty. Because each scenario is independent of the others, students can choose scenarios according to their interests and experience. Each scenario is designed to help students develop deeper understanding while exploring the problem. All scenarios includes optional hints designed to reflect a realistic troubleshooting process while only gradually revealing the solution. Students find the flexibility and challenge of this course very rewarding.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
- Fedora Core 6
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
- SUSE Linux 10.1
This course is designed for intermediate to advanced users. Students should have already taken the GL120, GL250 and GL275, or have equivalent knowledge. A short refresher for each topic will be presented, but will not be discussed in depth.
This course targets a wide range of audience: the intermediate to advanced administrator who wants to sharpen his/her troubleshooting skills and the certification candidates with limited Linux hands-on administration experience. Those wishing to take Red Hat and/or Novell certification exams may find this hands-on troubleshooting course particularly beneficial to preparing for their exam.
In this course you will:
- Troubleshooting Methodology
- Rescue Environments
- Topic Group 1
- Topic Group 2
- Topic Group 3
- Topic Group 4
- Topic Group 5
- Topic Group 6
- Topic Group 7
Prices do not include applicable taxes.
This was printed from: http://www.sparknational.com/courses/viewcourse.php?course=GL314
Date/Time: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 06:05:39 -0400
To register by phone, call Spark National at 1-647-723-6673.